I am really hooked on a new thing from Microsoft called ASP.NET MVC - which could be understood as “a project template for ASP.NET to easily build applications with the ModelViewControl (MVC)-pattern”
I can now safely confess that i have actually never liked or fully understood the ASP.NET programming model with Web Forms and User Controls. It just to complicated to digest - a lot of events firing, on some you can see the controls of the page and on other you don’t. I don’t like it! At all!
But that is all in the passed from now (for me and a lot of other as it seems), because now the ASP.NET MVC exists as a wonderful alternative. There are already a CTP (preview) to download and also some really good introductions to the concept.
Here is my short-lists of must-reads and sees:
- Scott Guthrie “book” on his blog. Part 0, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and, yes you’ve guessed it; Part 4
- Great introduction video by Scott Hanselmann
- More in-depth looks by Fredrik Normén
- How to apply TDD (Test Driven Design) with the MVC-pattern
- Some QuickStart samples
- And finally - doing cool stuff with Ajax and ASP.NET MVC
Well, to summaries, i just love this way of looking at web applications. It feels like: “Finally - i understand it!”. I will never (or not without some serious debating first) build in any other way, as i see it now