Comments on common board practices - Focus on the work - not the workers
February 28, 2017
Many daily stand up meetings follow the patterns originally from Scrum - that is we ask each individual what they did yesterday, what they are going to do today and if anything is blocking them.
This is a nice sentiment but misalign our focus.
Because making sure that people are busy is not important… at least not compared to making work flow.
There’s an easy way to change our focus, at least in our morning meetings.
- Blocked is not a column
- Todo - Doing - Done is not your process
- Done? There’s no Done
- Colors speaks volumes - use them deliberately
- It’s not a kanban board if you don’t have a WIP limit
- Walk the board from right to left
- Focus on the work - not the workers
- And for the love of everything holy - please tear off the post-it’s...